Cardio is the best way to get yourself into that fat burning zone and, usually, that is where most of us want to be. When you hear the word cardio, do you think of running? Yeah, me too and running definitely is NOT my favorite way to workout. However, there are other ways to get in some fast and fun cardio workouts without all of the running!
Is it ok to do cardio every day?
Yes, it is absolutely fine and even recommended to work in 30 minutes of cardio per day to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
It is recommended to switch up your cardio workouts often to maximize results. I am on a Peloton bike kick now for almost a year and love cardio more than ever before. Finding a fun cardio workout makes a huge difference in your fitness.
Fast and fun cardio workouts for women (minus the running!)
Example of a Quick Cardio Workout
- Reverse Lunges are a great way to warm up for cardio and can also be fun to do to one of your favorite songs. Do 10 reps total, keeping your chest up the whole time.
- Squats with Overhead Arms help bring you into that fat burning zone and help you tone up your muscles. For fun, I yell “SQUATS” in a deep gruff voice as I do them! Do 10 reps.
- Plank with Shoulder Touches round out your warm up session. Alternate left hand to right shoulder, right hand to left shoulder and do 10 reps of each.
Main Cardio Workout:
- Mountain or Stair Climbers are great for cardio and easy to do at home. You can try to do as many mountain climbers as you can in 1 minute or put on a song and go up and down the stairs as many times as you can during the song!
- Squat Jumps = awesome cardio and good for toning the glutes! I love doing these to a great hip hop song like “Get Low” or “Work It”.
- Just Dance! Seriously, dancing is some of the best cardio in the world and it is always fun to dance like nobody’s watching! Pick out one of your favorite dance songs, find the video and try to follow the choreography or, just DANCE!
It is always important to cool down after doing cardio. It gives your body a chance to recover and for you to relax as well. Yoga has some awesome cool down poses. I suggest:
- Downward Facing Dog: Come onto your hands and knees with hands directly below your shoulders and knees directly below hips. Spread your fingers wide and tuck your toes under. Inhale and lift your knees off the floor, pressing your hips up toward the ceiling. Draw your heels down to the floor or keep a slight bend in your knees. Press your hands firmly into the mat and draw your shoulder blades down. Keep the head between the arms (don’t let it hang). Take 5 deep breaths or as many as desired.
- Cat Cow: Come onto your hands and knees with hands directly below your shoulders and knees directly below your hips. Inhale to lengthen your spine. Without bending elbows or moving hips, roll your spine forward to arch your back. Lift your chin, chest, and hips to the ceiling, allowing your stomach to sink toward the floor. Once you’ve reached the fullest expression of your arch, round your spine toward the ceiling and release your head toward the floor. Move in a fluid motion for 5 deep breaths or as many as desired.
- Warrior Pose: Stand with your feet wider than hip-width apart. Turn your right toes out and left toes slightly inward. Bend your right knee and lower your hips down. Make sure your right knee is directly above your ankle. Extend your arms straight out from your shoulders and press the outside of the left foot into the mat. Continue to sink lower into your hips as spine stays long. Take 5 deep breaths or as many as desired.
There you have it! A fast and fun cardio workout for women, or anyone really, minus all the running!