Healthy summer salads are a staple at our house, especially during summer. I love the fresh produce summer brings us. Now that I am really trying to focus on the 21 Day Fix nutrition, that means eating more veggies and fruit than I had been. An even better reason to make sure to eat healthy summer salads.
Although some salads can be misleading for weight loss, these healthy summer salads will keep you on target for your new healthy living goals.
We are still in Vegas today for baseball tournaments and as outlined in yesterday’s post, eating healthy while on vacation isn’t always easy. If you are vacationing soon, make sure to check out the 8 Foolproof Tips to Prevent Weight Gain While on Vacation.
For dinner tonight, we went to Olive Garden for what else…bottomless salad. There aren’t too many restaurants you can depend on in new places to have fresh, crisp salad than the Olive Garden.
Andrew and I decided to share dinner, as we often do. We had the bottomless soup and salad, plus a Shrimp Scampi Pasta dish (one of the Light choices at 540 calories for the entire portion). It was all delicious! We even brought leftovers back to the hotel.
So, in thinking about how much I love cold fresh foods in summer, I definitely wanted to share some fabulous summer salads with you guys!
Be sure to try all 3 and come back to let me know which one was your favorite!
3 Healthy Summer Salads
Strawberry, Avocado & Chicken Salad
1/2 cups chopped strawberries
1/2 cup diced peeled ripe avocado
2 tablespoons minced seeded jalapeño pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 chicken breasts
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 lime wedges – as desired
- In a small bowl, toss together strawberries, avocado, pepper, cilantro, lime juice and salt.
- Heat a pan over medium high heat and add the oil. Season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 3-4 min on each side or until fully cooked.
- Slice chicken into strips. Serve chicken with strawberry mixture on top, with a lime wedge with each serving. (4 Servings)
Strawberry Chicken Salad & Balsamic Dressing
2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
4 cups romaine, chopped
3 cups strawberries, chopped
½ cup dried cranberries
½ cup crumbled goat cheese
¼ cup sliced almonds
Strawberry Balsamic Dressing:
1 cup strawberries
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
Corn, Avocado Pasta Italian Salad
1 package (16 ounces) Ronzoni Rotini Pasta
2 heaping cups (2 small) zucchini, chopped into bite sized pieces
16 ounces frozen sweet corn, lightly steamed, drain all water off, if necessary
1 and 1/2 cups sliced tomatoes
1 large avocado, chopped
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
1 bottle (16 ounces) light Zesty Italian Dressing
To taste: feta cheese, fresh basil
- Cook pasta according to directions. Drain and cool.
- In a non-stick pan, over high heat, place corn and zucchini with salt and pepper to taste. Allow corn and zucchini to roast, only stirring lightly. Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until browned and roasted. Do not overcook. Allow to cool.
- Chop tomatoes.
- Chop Avocado, toss with lemon juice.
- Combine corn, zucchini, tomato, avocado and pasta.
- Pour about half of the Italian dressing over and toss.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- When ready to serve, pour additional dressing on as needed.
- Top with Feta cheese and basil, if preferred.